7 Things You Don’t Need to Know:
- I was a DJ for several months at an Alternative Radio Station back in college, where I was introduced to the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Soundgarden, The Dead Milkmen, Camper Van Beethoven, Sonic Youth, and They Might Be Giants, along with many other bands I still enjoy today.
- I went to college specifically to become a Marine Biologist. My entire childhood practically was spent collecting shells, maintaining aquariums & breeding fish, and reading about science, specifically marine sciences. I ended up graduated with an undergraduate degree in Biology because of a physics requirement I didn’t complete, but 90% of my college science classes were ocean/marine related. If you want to know the Latin binomial names for beach grass, a dolphin, or any member of the conch family—email me.
- My first teaching moment, after I was hired at an Elementary School as a Special Education assistant, involved a picture book and a 2nd grade student suspected of having a Multiple Personality Disorder who shared with me that “the devil comes out of me when I have candy.” This was AFTER I had given her a ½ bag of M&M’s, which she voraciously ate. I told her to cover her mouth so that the devil couldn’t escape and sent her back to her regular class.
- My favorite place in the whole world is at the North End of North Myrtle Beach, S.C., where the Intracoastal Waterway comes in. I specifically like low tide, early in the morning, when I’m on the beach by myself as the sun comes up. When I’m out there completely alone, I sing.
- I’ve done some cool things: I’ve written a novel (about a psychic kid), I’ve been an extra in a couple of movies (Sleeping With The Enemy & Simple Justice-A Biopic about Thurgood Marshall), am Nationally Certified in Science, made it to the Regional Level for North Carolina State Teacher of the Year, am an Eagle Scout, written songs for a country band, have stood within 15 feet of the Queen of England, and I’ve been inside Anne Frank’s house.
- I like Superhero movies and hope that they soon make a Wonder Woman movie, as I LOVED the TV series w/ Lynda Carter when I was a child. I’ve heard Beyonce is in talks to be Wonder Woman and I would be thrilled with that. In addition, the first Batman movie with Michael Keaton is my favorite, mainly because Prince did the soundtrack.
- When I was a teenager, I participated in a youth public speaking program through the Toastmaster’s club to help me get over a fear of speaking in public. For the final session, there was a contest and I tried to be creative with the alliterative use of the letter “P.” I crafted a speech made up almost entirely of words that began with or contained the letter “P” as I thought I was being original and innovative. It was not meant to be funny, and I was mortified when the crowd howled with laughter and heartbroken when my speech didn’t even garner an honorable mention. I still feel a twinge of that moment from time to time when speaking to large groups.